Explore the Ocean Floor at Low Tide
- Discover life in the tidal pools and mudflats with experienced and knowledgeable guides.
- Observe and learn to identify the mud piddock, a local at-risk species.
- Learn how to safely explore our delicate ecosystems.
- Listen to local tales and learn the influence of the people on this landscape.
- Length of tour is approximately 1 hour 15 minutes
- Distance covered: 1-2 kilometres at a slow pace over varied terrain. Mobility issues? Talk to our staff for recommendations.
Things to keep in mind:
- Tours should be booked at least 24 hours in advance. Spaces fill quickly and we cannot guarantee availability.
- It can be cooler on the ocean floor. A sweater or all-weather coat may be useful even on warm days.
- Wear a hat, sunglasses and don’t forget the sunscreen.
- Water and a small snack can be brought along.
- The ocean floor can be slippery and has uneven terrain. Sturdy shoes or boots that are washable are recommended. Flip flops and loose fitting sandals are not recommended. A foot wash is available.
- Tours are a rain or shine event so bring a smile and rain gear. Tours will only be cancelled in case of thunder and lightning or other extreme conditions.
- Tours start precisely at the listed time from the lighthouse. Please arrive at least 15 minutes early to register and meet your guide at the lighthouse.
- Cancellation policy. There is no charge for cancellation but we ask that you please let us know 24 hours in advance if you are unable to make it.